1. Besides chiropractic adjustments, there are several things you can do to speed up your healing process from low back pain.
2. Do not bend at the waist while standing, bend at your knees.
3. If you can’t bend at your knees use your hand to support your weight or broaden your base of support by moving your legs farther apart in the direction you are bending.
4. Take Epsom salts baths or showers. 4 cups of Epsom Salts in a hot bath for 20 minutes at least once per week, or 2 cups of Epsom Salts in the bottom of the shower with the shower drain closed at least 3 times per week.
5. Use ice on your back over the area of pain or wherever your doctor told you to. 20-30 minutes of icing with the thickness of a T-shirt between your skin and the ice, then 30 minutes with the ice in the freezer and then put it back on your back. Repeat this as many times as you possibly can.
6. Let the hot shower hit your back wherever the pain is.
7. Most people’s back problems are worsened by adding a heating pad to the area of pain, but there are some people it will help. Unless you know ice aggravates your back, try ice first and see how it feels an hour or two after the ice is off. Heat always feels better at the time of application, but ice is usually preferred and will make your back feel better an hour or two after its application. Everyone is an individual case though.
8. If you are cold natured, put a heating pad on your lap or stomach while the ice is on your back. We have really nice heat/cold packs made of cherry pits available for purchase. They can be put in the freezer or microwave.
9. Take 400-800mg of magnesium. Magnesium is nature’s muscle relaxer. There is a handout with questions on it to determine if you are low in magnesium. Magnesium is also nature’s beta blocker, nature’s calcium channel blocker and nature’s insomnia cure. We carry several types of magnesium in our office.
10. Glucosamine Sulfate is a supplement that helps with joint pain. We carry Arthrosoothe that has glucosamine sulfate, and anti-inflammatory herbs. 4 per day is the recommended dosage.
11. Topical BioFreeze is an all natural anti-inflammatory to apply to the low back. We carry BioFreeze.