Besides chiropractic adjustments, (the T4-T8 spinal nerves supply the stomach) there are several things you can do to speed up your healing process from stomach problems.
1. Do not drink caffeine. Even one cup of caffeinated tea, coffee or soda per day is too much for people with stomach problems.
2. Do not drink carbonated beverages. Phosphoric acid is used to carbonate beverages and this is so acidic it will dissolve a penny if left in a soda.
3. Make sure you chew slowly and thoroughly. Don’t eat in a rush.
4. If you are on acid lowering drugs, over time they cause digestive problems lower in the GI tract since you need acid to digest your food and without stomach acid, undigested food then moves into your intestines. If food in undigested in your intestines intestinal bacteria will ferment it and can cause gas and bloating. You also need stomach acid to absorb protein, B vitamins and minerals.
5. Long term use of antacids can cause bone loss, back and neck pain, dementia (memory loss), high blood pressure and/or muscle spasms. The package insert in acid lowering drugs says not to take them for longer than 10 days because of this.
6. We recommend AbsorbAid, which is available here, to help digest your food so you might be able to get off of the acid lowering drug. We are not able to take you off of any medication since we don’t prescribe it. You must talk to the doctor who prescribed a medicine to ask about getting off of it.
7. After 1 or 2 bottles of AbsorbAid taken one or two capsules with each meal, you may ask your doctor about a trial of no acid lowering drugs. You must continue to take the AbsorbAid while off the drug. After a total of 2-4 bottles of AbsorbAid, you may be able to discontinue it and be fine as long as you stay away from foods that you know aggravate it.
8. AbsorbAid is also available in a powdered form but we don’t stock it. Most health food stores carry it.
9. Occasionally heartburn is from a lack of B12. There are usually other signs of low B12 like fatigue, running into things, pinched nerves etc..