It is not normal to take more than 20 minutes to fall asleep. There are lifestyle issues that can cause and aggravate in somnia. The part of your brain called the Mesencephalon being overactive can cause insomnia. Magnesium deficiency and serotonin deficiency can also cause it. Heavy metal toxicity can also cause it.
Here are my recommendations for insomnia:
1. Chiropractic adjustments can help calm the mesencephalon.
2. Take a minimum of 400mg of Magnesium per day w/food.
3. Take 50-300mg of 5-HTP.
4. Some people will have to add Melatonin to the 5 HTP. 3-9 mg in timed release formula 20minutes before bed.
5. Follow proper sleep hygiene.
6. Avoid eating sugar and simple carbohydrates. Try sweetening with Stevia instead. Sugar is very stressful to the adrenal glands and adrenal gland dysfunction can cause insomnia.
Proper sleep hygiene:
1. Do not watch TV or be on the computer for 1 hour before bed.
2. Do not eat within 2 hours of going to bed.
3. Sleep in complete darkness, black out the room or wear an eye mask.
4. No caffeine at all at any time.
5. No reading in bed and no suspense or mystery novels.
If the insomnia is chronic and intractable in spite of trying the above, BBT (brain based therapy) can be very helpful. See the BBT section of our website for more information.
Mercury toxicity can also cause insomnia that won’t respond to magnesium or 5-HTP. Please see the mercury toxicity section of the website for more information.